You must obtain a burning permit in order to do any open burning in the Towns of Oconomowoc and Merton.
How To Obtain a Burning Permit
Before you submit a burning permit request, please keep in mind the following:
- You must have a valid e-mail address.
- During the week (Monday – Friday 7am-3pm), most permit requests are reviewed within 24 hours.
- If you submit your request on a weekend (Friday 3pm – Monday 7am) or holiday, it will be reviewed on the next business day.
- Burning permits are not issued on weekends or holidays.
- To ensure your permit is reviewed and issued in time to burn during the weekend we suggest submitting your request by Thursday.
Use the applicable link below to submit your request:
During the week (Monday-Friday, 7am-3pm), most permit requests are reviewed within 24 hours.Town of Oconomowoc Burning Permit Request Town of Merton Burning Permit Request
Before You Burn
- Obtain a burning permit from our department
- Review and ensure you will be complying with all of the regulations listed below
- Check the current fire conditions report from the WI DNR
- If the fire conditions are listed as HIGH for Waukesha County, you must call our department before you burn.
- If the fire conditions are listed as EXTREME for Waukesha County, all outdoor burning (even those with permits) is prohibited.
- Check the current wind speed/conditions. Average wind speed must be under 9mph. Don’t take chances!
Regulations Regarding Outdoor Burning
- Pile may not exceed 4’x4’x3′ high
- Pile shall be at least 50 feet from any structure, wood pile, or wooden fence
- Dry material only, not ignited with flammable or combustible liquids
- No burning of rubbish, garbage, trash, or any material made of or coated with rubber, plastic, leather, or petroleum based products
- The fire must be supervised by someone over 16 year of age until its extinguished
- Burning is permitted from 7:00am until 1/2 hour after sunset
- Wind speed must be less than 9mph
- The site may be inspected prior to the issuance of a burning permit and citations may be issued for any violations of these regulations.
The towns have enacted the following timing and issuance regulations regarding burning permits:
- Town of Oconomowoc Residents: Burning permits are valid for 14 days from the date of issue.
- Town of Merton Residents (Ordinance 9.17): Burning permits are valid for 5 days from the date of issue and can be issued once every 30 days.